Friday 30 March 2007

Chagrijnig, Sacherijnig, Sjagrijnig

My CV tells me I am fluent in Dutch and English. Sure -- why then, do I find myself so often sitting behind the computer in a frozen position searching my brain cells for words or the spelling of words in either one of those languages?

These situations are not too bad though, because I just open another window, google and wikipedia around a bit, and find the spelling or the word I was looking for, and the frustration disappears as if it was never there. It is worse though when it is in a social situation and I get stuck, or the worst (and funniest at the same time) when I use the wrong word and the meaning shocks my friends! Anyway, today, when I found the spelling of the word, I was pleasantly surprised and found myself thinking: "what a word".

"What a word" -- I should write a post about it! So here is the word:

Chagrijnig
It means 'grumpy'. I like the word grumpy, it feels like the right word for the feeling that is describes. The word 'chagrijnig' though seems weird. I am sure it looks strange for the english speaking, but I wonder if the Dutch speaking, who don't speak english everyday, also think this is a somewhat out-of-the-ordinary word? It is certainly a tricky one for the Dutch, because I found lots of debate about the spelling of it online. I then discovered there are two correct spellings of this word! The other one is:

Sacherijnig

Why?? Why do we need to have two correct spellings?? Is that just so that the chance you get it right is higher? Or because people got it wrong so often it just got generally accepted?

There is another version, which I suspect is not officially correct, but I am not sure about that:

Sjagrijnig

Dutch is difficult I have decided. It is not for nothing there are websites dedicated to tackle problem words in Dutch language (aimed for native Dutch speakers that is). Here is an example:

Probleemwoorden

Now, all you english speakers must wonder how to pronounce it? Well, spelling is one thing... pronounciation is a totally different story. I think this word will give you an interesting pronounciation challenge! Give me a call :)

10 comments:

Lotte said...

Matt just pointed out the following word to me:

'Chagrin'

From wikipedia:
Chagrin is used to explain strong feelings of embarrassment or displeasure. See annoyance. In French, it means sorrow.[1]

ORIGIN mid 17th century (in the sense [melancholy]): from French chagrin (noun), literally rough skin, shagreen, 'chagriner (verb), from unknown origin.

Anonymous said...

Er is er nog een... Zoals ik m vaak gebruik, namelijk SAGO!! En dat ben ik nu ook ff tijdelijk. Wel grappig dat ik dit dan vind op je weblog..

Anonymous said...

wouldn't you forget about:
sjaggie!?
and what about when it stays like that for the whole day? : kutdag? ;-)

Lotte said...

Kutdag!

Wonder if that is in het 'Groene Boekje' yet??!!

Anonymous said...

35.300 hits in google suggest that at least it should be taken into consideration!

Lotte said...

Hahahaha -- well, that is 35.301 then :) Where did you find that info?

Anonymous said...

35.302...

Anonymous said...

goto www.google.nl
type "kutdag"
look in the upper right hand corner

the hits keep hitting ya!

Anonymous said...

by the way...
did you know that by my estimate only 1 in 100 people stay "chagrijning" for a day and therefore their day is a "Kutdag"

and how do I get to that estimate?

type in "javascript:void(0)
Publish Your Commentkutdag" en "chagrijnig" en you get substantially less hits. 345!! do the math ;-)

Anonymous said...

sorry...royal fuck up. Don't know what happened, but my comment should have stated:

type in
"kutdag" en "chagrijnig"